Arizona Topo Map
Created By: -Oz-
Last Updated: October 23rd, 2011 9:10am
West: -115° East: -109°
Country: United States
Most Popular Maps
Other Maps By -Oz- (See All)
The purpose of this venture is to create a detailed topographic map of the entire state of Arizona at 24k detail. This map is created for Garmin GPS receivers, Mapsource, BaseCamp, and RoadTrip. The most recent version was released on the 10th of March 2010 and includes major improvements over previous versions.
- Roads - Interstates, highways, arterial roads, residential roads, limited unpaved roads (2009 Tiger Data)
- High resolution water data - lakes, rivers, streams, and washes
- Federal Land Usage - Wilderness area, national parks, BLM land, military bases/ranges, and native american reservations
- Borders - County and state boundary lines
- Elevation contours - 30ft intervals (equivalent to or greater than 24k)
- Points of Interest (over 37,000) - search for summits, mines, falls, dams, cemeteries, towers, populated places, U.S. Forest Service recreation sites, etc.
- Trails - trail coverage including: Grand Canyon, Sunrise Ski Park, Granite Mountain Recreation Area trails, Sedona, National Forests, National Parks, and a many others throughout the state
- Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest snowmobile trails
This map covers the entire state of Arizona.
Below are a couple examples of this map on a Garmin 60csx:
Below is a picture of the map inside of mapsource:
This screenshot compares the Arizona Topo (v1.25) (left) to Garmin US Topo (middle) to Garmin Topo 2008 (rigth). With the exception of the DEM shading you can see that the Arizona Topo is significantly more detailed.
Two options exist; for windows download and run setup. The map will then appear in Garmin MapSource and BaseCamp and can be added to your GPS by selecting it in MapSource and sending it to the GPSr. For Mac download the mac version, extract it and double click the .gmapi file. Map Manager will then install the map for you.
Like Arizona? Download its neighbor - New Mexico
Support The Effort
Although this map is free, and always will be if you find the map useful please consider making a donation to offset software, hardware, and hosting costs.
* You don't need paypal to donate but that is who will process the donation.
If you can't donate (or even if you can) another great way to help is by providing data for this map or other maps. If you have data please contact me.
Many resources were used to create this map, the main ones are listed here:
USGS National Elevation Data (NED)
The NED is elevation data provided in raster form by the USGS.
USGS National Hydrography Dataset
The USGS provides hydrographic data in high resolution.
USGS National Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
The USGS provides locations and names for many features throughout the United States.
Arizona Geographic Information Council
The state of Arizona provides limited detailed information for the state of Arizona.
U.S. National Park Service: GIS Data and Metadata
The National Park Service provides limited data for its parks throughout Arizona.
Southwest Region: National Forest Service
The forest service provided boundaries, recreation points, and trails.
Version 2.11 (23 Oct 11)
- Updated the Windows installer to fix an issue with Garmin Basecamp on Windows 7 64-bit
Version 2.11 (24 Jul 11)
- Added additional trails
Version 2.10 (22 Aug 10)
- Fixed error on older units where names would be displayed as "N...... V......"
- All points of interest are now searchable
- Improved installer/uninstaller information
Version 2.00 (10 Mar 10)
- Reduced the number of map segments from 68 to 46
- Increased segment size from 1 degree x 1/2 degree to 1 degree x 3/4 degree (minimum)
- Fixed duplicate/double trails throughout the state; especially in the Grand Canyon area
- Updated the road data to the 2009 Census data
- Included USFS recreation points
- Updated the GNIS POIs
- Decreased the contour interval from 40ft to 30ft
- Used new DEM data providing improved accuracy in certain areas
- Added many additional trails
- Added Apache-Sitgreaves snowmobile trails
Version 1.25 (2 Jan 09)
- Fixed elevation errors that occurred throughout entire state.
Version 1.2 (30 Dec 08)
- Updated to 2008 National Tiger Road Data
- Fixed issues with roads in Pima County
- Updated to 2008 National Tiger Rail Data
- Updated major power lines (2008 Tiger)
- Updated airport runways (2008 Tiger)
- Updated many trails including adding National Forest Service Trails (increased from <50 to >400)
- Removed duplicate trails
- Made map end at the state border (easier to not have issues with neighboring maps)
- Updated GNIS (points of interest) points
Version 1.1 (16 Jun 08)
- Updated to 2007 National Tiger Road Data
- Updated to 2007 National Tiger Railroad Data
- Added major powerlines
- Included airport runways (2007 Tiger Data)
- Included Native American Reservations
- Updated Grand Canyon Trails (removed duplicates)
- Fixed trails marked as roads
- Fixed road locations in Pima County
Version 1.02 (12 Apr 08)
- Fixed error with 18 quads still having the contour bug; learned how to prevent it in the future.
- Created and released Mac version
Version 1.01 (11 Apr 08)
- Fixed large error with contours having the wrong elevations
Version 1.00 (6 Apr 08)
- Initial release