How To Create Garmin Topo Maps
Author: Dan Blomberg | Last updated July 21st, 2008 at 05:50pm
This tutorial details how to create custom topographic maps that are compatible with Garmin GPS units. This 9 step tutorial takes you through how to create maps with both expensive, cheap, and free software.
Table Of Contents
- Part 1 - Setup - details how to setup your computer to easily create maps
- Part 2 - Elevation Data - download and process USGS DEM data
- Part 3 - Water Data - download and process USGS NHD high resolution water data
- Part 4 - Transportation Data - download and process new Tiger transportation data
- Part 5 - Points of Interest - download and process USGS GNIS points of interest
- Part 6 - Federal Lands - download and process Native American Reservations, military bases, national parks, and other federal lands.
- Part 7 - Borders - download and process state and county borders
- Part 8 - Combining - combine all the data into a single set of files and split them into smaller segments
- Part 9 - Compiling - use our techniques to convert the files to .img files and create a setup file.
How Can You Help
There are a few ways you can help. First, create maps, then post them here and share your work with the world. Make your GPS more useful then make other people's more useful as well. Second, post in the forums or contact us with advice so we can make this tutorial better. Third if you can and are willing, donate to keep GPSFileDepot operational.
* You don't need paypal to donate but that is who will process the donation.
Thanks to IndyJpr for his knowledge.
Thanks to Jacksan for creating the original mapping tutorial I read.